SMALL TALK AT BUKOWSKA AND LIBELTA: A poet in Poznan. - Poetry Chapbook, 2012.

“Krabo” They say moon is the same for everyone Streets are hostile or friendly Nothing depends on your luck You exist cause you’re taught to...

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

"Colossus"

My head of starry heavens shines above you
Chest of ocean waves controls the raging sea
Arms of silver clouds erect the giant torch
My belly is of brass and so are my hips
My eyes of brilliant sunrays, shooting so far
My mighty legs of iron, feet of iron and clay
My golden head might bend in front of majesty of stars
But I will never fall a victim to human decay

Sailors set your course upon my lighthouse
Sail beneath me safely in your sleep
I’m the gateway to another planet
Not just wonder of the world or myth
I am god, that’s how I show to you
I’m the heaviest body of the world
You were given wings to reach my astronomical height
I was given ears of air to hear you call

In the metals of my body lays the wisdom
You can hear it in the sun if you’re this close
But if you forget your feet are of this earth
Your soul will never have a chance to grow
Remember now the ancient days have found you
I’m your master in this human labyrinth
You were given clues to find the entrance in my eyes
But the only exit lies within your dreams

You only dream of giants and of gods
Building statues of their holy countenance
Ages of sand and of dust have gone
But my treasure didn’t fall to evil hands
With destruction, rulers said, comes creation
We are building high-tech cities on the ashes of old
My golden head is buried in the sands of distant Egypt
I believe I’ve lost control over my world

With these silver arms I’ll stop the angry tempest
Hear me laugh as I divide the sea
Marble columns made by men start trembling
Heavens cry amazed by human dreams
You alone disturbed the godly conscience
With begging arms in Mediterranean sun
I alone have saved the ocean’s entrance
Ten thousand steps below the sea we run

You wanted a giant to guard your safety
Unmovable, eternal son of light
You got a graceful, all-mighty god collector
Protector of heart invisible at night
I saw you were building his image on Earth
Just to be ruined with one giant stone
Cut from the magical mountains of youth where
Legend has it my virtues were born

Two seductresses were sent against my power
Babylon’s and Hindu finest brides
But I stood there blinking eyes on the horizon
Sacred pillars standing tall against their tides
Every blink of godly eyes meant a daybreak
Gifts of fire, chest in arrow’s deadly grip
I said you won’t tear apart this ghostlike giant
I won’t move both legs at once in decision of defeat

I believed it took two pillars to protect us
I believed my legs were strong enough to stand
I believed it took a million years to break me
With a weapon you no longer understand
With my fate all ancient kingdoms collapsed
It was way too late to stop the turning wheels
Time believed that time has come for dying
For civilizations based on law and steel

Never will Colossus be broken in half
His holy oil cannot cease to flow
No more anguish in the distant ages
Humans keep on crying for all ages yet to come
Sailors keep on sailing thru those nameless now pillars
Turns out that they’re pillars made of salt
Colossus moves one arm, he’s very tired
Ships in laughter of the gods are gone

The tempest continues to play with the giant’s golden head
His eyes slowly scan the horizon to see if there’s anything left
Guilty of death and destruction, he desecrated our paradise
The way we treated him thru time this shouldn’t be a surprise
Standing alone in the waters, the sea turning red in his gaze
Two pillars diving the ocean, Colossus in evening’s haze
Many have tried to swim through him, they never had any ploy
Armadas once treated lightly in one move of hand destroyed

Colossus the brave in his legend never felt the flow of time
He agreed to be locked there forever between the sea and the night
Armed with the legs of a giant, secured by the tombs of his skin
Guiding us up to eternal heavens, supporting pioneer dreams
Colossus, the mighty defender, our tempest, our journey and gift
He saved us from nighttime’s intruders and buried their bones in his sleep
And now that the giant’s awake nobody can cross the lines
He drew on the ocean’s face, he drew on the moon when it shines

Two pillars dividing the tempest now, his clay legs against the sea
Basalt drawn out of the furious waves, dead city erected and steered
Above the golden angry head, it’s black now and obscene
Colossus tries to defeat his flaws, deal with the ocean beasts
He once loved a daughter of Albion, the demons he threw on the rocks
Crashing the ships of Columbus, never to see Indian shores
The legend remains as he tells it, his eyes have seen all the gloom
Colossus the mighty retires, the ocean will win pretty soon

Just slightly seen underwater, remains of a sculpture loom
Enormous, vast, inhuman, Colossus lies there doomed
Awaiting for discovery, remembering Greece and Egypt sands
Remembering more human history than humans understand

No comments:

Post a Comment